Best Commercial Upright Vacuum – Reviews & Top Picks
For most of us, cleaning our homes is a constant battle. Having carpet is nice for a lot of reasons, but it also means that we have to vacuum them on a regular basis. If you have a large household, then cleaning each room and floor can be a hassle. Also, many consumer models are not built to handle such a large volume.
As such, it’s much better to find the best commercial upright vacuum instead. Rather than wasting money on something that will break down quickly, it’s better to invest in a model that is designed for businesses and cleaning services.
After using a commercial vacuum cleaner, you’ll see a significant difference in how easy it is to clean your home. So, let’s take a look at a few of the best models out there.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Commercial Upright Vacuum - Comparison Chart
- 2 5 Best Commercial Upright Vacuum Reviews
- 2.1 1. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS XL Commercial Upright Vac
- 2.2 2. Sanitaire SC679J Commercial Shake Out Bag Upright Vac
- 2.3 3. ProTeam ProForce 1500XP Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 2.4 4. Hoover Commercial WindTunnel 13" Bagged Upright Vacuum
- 2.5 5. Oreck Commercial U2000R-1 120 V Red/Gray Upright Vacuum
- 3 How to Choose a Best Commercial Upright Vacuum
- 4 Final Verdict
Top Commercial Upright Vacuum - Comparison Chart
Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS XL Commercial Upright Vacuum
Sanitaire SC679J Commercial Shake Out - Bag Upright Vacuum
ProTeam ProForce 1500XP Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner with HEPA
Hoover Commercial WindTunnel 13" Bagged Upright Vacuum
Oreck Commercial U2000R-1 120 V Red/Gray Upright Vacuum
5 Best Commercial Upright Vacuum Reviews
As we mentioned, many commercial vacuums are designed for carpeting only. That means that if you have hardwood floors, you need to find another way to clean them. However, with the Oreck XL2100RHS Vacuum, you can work on both kinds of floors with ease. Best of all, it will automatically adjust between them for you.
What we really like about this vacuum is the power of the motor. The brush roll operates at 6500 rpm, which pulls in dirt and dust like nothing else. That being said, this particular model is designed for low-pile carpets, so if your fibers are extra long, then it won’t be able to penetrate effectively.
The other thing that we like about this vacuum is the handle. It is designed for comfort and convenience, so even those with advanced arthritis can still use it. Not only does it prevent you from having to squeeze or twist your wrist, but it includes the on/off switch so that you don’t have to bend over to shut the vacuum off.
Finally, another performance-enhancing feature is the fact that this vacuum comes with side brushes as well. This ensures that you can run up against walls and furniture without missing any dirt or debris along the way. Also, it’s low profile design and wide path allow you to clean faster and more efficiently.
- Works on carpet and hardwoods
- Lightweight design is easy to carry
- Wide 12-inch cleaning path
- Ideal for low-pile carpets
- On/off switch on handgrip for convenience
- Brush roll operates at 6500 rpm
- Automatic floor adjustment
- Extra long 35-foot power cord
- Low profile design fits under furniture
- Side edge brushes for a deeper clean
- Easy to use bags
- Refill bags from the top for convenience
- Bumpers protect walls and furniture
- Ergonomic handle design
- One-year limited warranty
- Doesn’t work well on high-pile carpets
- Handle material is not as durable as the rest of the vacuum
- No attachments
For the most part, upright commercial vacuums use bags to collect all of the dust and debris from your floors. Although they are convenient to throw away, they can add some extra maintenance costs to your cleaning budget. Fortunately, this model from Sanitaire comes with a “shake out” bag that you can reuse over and over again. This is just one of the reasons that we like this model a lot.
As far as performance goes, this vacuum comes with some pretty incredible features. First, it has a robust five-amp motor that ensures that you get the best suction possible. It operates at 120 CFM so that it can handle almost any kind of carpeting or hardwood floor.
This unit has four different heights from which you can choose, enabling you to adjust between different floor types with ease. Although we would prefer if it did this automatically, this feature is still more than helpful.
Other features that we like about this vacuum include the fact that it’s much quieter than most commercial models, it drops flat to reach under furniture more easily, and it has a foot-operated power switch for added convenience. Also, it only weighs 12 pounds, meaning that you can carry it up and down flights of stairs without wearing yourself out.
- Powerful five-amp motor
- Reusable 18-quart vacuum bags
- Extra wide 12-inch cleaning path
- Automatic locking system in the handle
- Lightweight design for easier carrying
- Drops flat to reach under furniture more easily
- Four height options for different floors
- Long 30-foot power cord
- Quiet operation (78 dB)
- Foot-operated power switch for convenience
- Vacuums at a rate of 120 cubic feet per minute (CFM)
- Bumper keeps walls and furniture safe from damage
- Requires assembly to use
- Emptying the bag can be tricky sometimes
- In rare cases, the belt may wear down quicker than normal
When comparing different commercial vacuum cleaners, one way to tell if a model is better than the competition is to see how it’s built. In this case, the ProTeam ProForce Vacuum comes with a dual-motor system, ensuring that you get the best suction and performance possible. One of the motors powers the unit, while another is dedicated to the brush roll. Overall, you get a lot of potential from a single vacuum.
One design element that we like about the ProForce is that it comes with an L-shaped head. First of all, this makes the unit wider than most (15 inches), which enables you to clean surfaces much more efficiently since you don’t have to make as many passes. Secondly, the L part allows you to reach into tighter spaces that would otherwise be impossible.
Another design element that sets this vacuum apart is the fact that it comes with a hose and subsequent attachments. So, if you want to be able to clean multiple surfaces, then this is the vacuum to buy. It comes with an extension wand, a detail brush, and a crevice tool.
Other features we like include the extra long 50-foot power cord, the HEPA filtration system to ensure that your air is as clean as possible, and the three-year limited warranty that comes with the unit.
- Dual motor system for better performance
- HEPA filtration system
- Ideal for high-pile carpet and hardwood floors
- Hose provided with extension wand attachment
- Large rubber wheels make maneuvering easier
- Extra-long 50-foot power cord
- Three attachments provided
- Extra wide 15-inch base for more efficient cleaning
- One motor for suction, another for the brush roll
- L-shaped design allows you to get into tighter spaces
- Onboard storage for accessories
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Three-year limited warranty
- In rare cases, the unit may clog easily
- Not designed for low pile carpets
- Can be loud
Although most people are familiar with Hoover for its consumer-grade vacuums, the fact is that the company also makes high-quality commercial models as well. In this case, the WindTunnel Vacuum comes with a lot more power and suction than most other units in its class. As such, you can rely on this vacuum to provide excellent cleaning power for your home, regardless of how many rooms or surfaces you have.
One feature that we appreciate about this vacuum is that it has five height positions for the base. This means that you can easily go from hardwood to high-pile carpet without any loss of suction or performance. Also, this unit comes with a hose and four attachments so that you can clean a variety of surfaces with ease. Two extension wands, a crevice tool, and a detail brush are included, and they can all be stored on the vacuum itself.
Other features that we like about the WindTunnel vacuum are the HEPA filtration system that provides cleaner air, the side brushes that ensure that you never miss a spot, the recline system that allows you to get under furniture, and the LED headlight. Also, you get a remarkable two-year warranty on the motor.
- Powerful wind tunnel technology
- Three air channels for better suction
- Long 35-foot power cord
- LED headlight for better visibility
- Reusable cloth bag
- HEPA filtration system
- Five-position height adjustment for all floor types
- Furniture guard protects from scuffs and scratches
- Lies flat so that you can reach underneath furniture
- Large wheels for better traction and maneuverability
- Four attachments included with onboard storage
- Side edge brushes ensure a deeper clean
- Two-year limited warranty on motor
- Heavier than other models
- On/off switch is kind of awkward to reach
- Handle feels a bit cheap
Our final model is another Oreck Commercial Vacuum. Like the one above, it’s designed for both comfort and convenience, although this one is a bit more versatile. It works well on almost all floor types except high-pile carpets. However, laminates, tiles floors, and hardwood are all fair game with the U2000R-1.
What we like about this vacuum is that it comes with middle and side brushes. Coupled with a broad base, you can clean your floors much more efficiently. The side bristles draw dirt even when you’re maneuvering around furniture or against walls, ensuring that you never miss a spot.
The bag design for the Oreck is another highlight. Unlike most vacuums that require you to pull the bag from the side or the bottom, this one allows you to remove it from the top. This makes the process of changing bags much more efficient and won’t hurt your back.
Other features that we like about this vacuum include the 40-foot power cord, the low profile design that reaches under furniture, and the lightweight feel. At only nine pounds, you can carry it up and down stairs without any problems. Finally, it even comes with six extra bags, so you won’t have to refill them anytime soon.
- Long 40-foot power cord
- Works on hardwood, tile, and laminate
- Powerful motor operates at 6000 rpm
- Side edge brushes for a deeper clean
- Multi-purpose brush roll works on most floors
- Low profile design reaches under furniture easily
- Top fill bag design for convenience
- Ergonomic handle for comfort
- Lightweight design is easy to carry up and down stairs
- Bumper guard protects furniture and walls
- Six bags included
- No attachments
- Handle feels a bit flimsy
- Can be loud
How to Choose a Best Commercial Upright Vacuum
One of the primary differences between commercial and consumer-grade vacuums is that the latter is built for infrequent use. Thus, vacuuming once a week is considered average, but if you have to do it every day, then the unit will break down rather quickly.
Also, the problem with most consumer vacuums is that they can’t stay on for too long before they overheat. So, if you have several floors to do, you may not be able to get to them all before the vacuum stops working.
Overall, commercial vacuum cleaners come with sturdy and robust motors that are made to stay on for extended periods. Since they are designed for businesses, you can keep the motor running for hours, and it won’t shut off or overheat.
When comparing motors, look at the amount of amps, the rpm, and the motor type (i.e., brushless or dual-stage). Overall, more rpms and amps mean that it can handle a lot of action.
One of the downsides of commercial upright vacuums is that they don’t come with a lot of attachments. Consumer-grade models usually have several types of accessories designed to make it easier to clean different surfaces.
That being said, a few commercial-grade vacuums may have some attachments, but they have to come with a hose for anything to work. Unfortunately, most units don’t include a hose because that can affect the power and performance.
In the end, if you are a big fan of attachments, then you might be a bit disappointed with commercial vacuum cleaners. However, if you don’t really care about them, you’ll be just fine.
For the most part, best commercial upright vacuums come with bags. This is because it’s much easier to empty and clean a bag than it is a canister. Consumer-grade models can go bagless because you’re not picking up as much dirt or debris, but a commercial vacuum doesn’t have that luxury.
As such, you should compare bag sizes to see which one works best for your home. Overall, if you get a larger size then you won’t have to empty it as often, nor will you have to buy replacement bags as frequently.
However, if you have limited floor space or you don’t clean very often, a smaller unit might be better for you since it will use less electricity and save you money in the long run.
Although most vacuums are designed for carpeted floors, that doesn’t mean that they can’t work on tile or hardwood as well. Also, the length of your carpet fibers can affect the vacuum’s ability to clean thoroughly.
Thus, it’s essential that you pick a model that is suited to your floor type(s). So, if you have high-pile carpeting, you want a commercial vacuum that can get deep into the carpet fibers so that dirt and debris won’t stick around.
Also, if you have a combination of carpet and hardwood, get a unit that can transfer between the two surfaces without damaging either one. Ideally, the vacuum you get will able to switch from carpet to hardwood on its own, rather than requiring you to do anything.
When picking out the best commercial vacuum cleaner, you should also keep these factors in mind.
Noise: usually, commercial models are louder than consumer ones, so you may have to pick one that isn’t so deafening. Alternatively, you might want to consider earplugs if it gets too loud.
Power Cord: thankfully, because commercial vacuums are designed to cover large surfaces, you get cords that are extra long. Just be sure that it won’t get in the way as you work.
Weight: if you have to carry the vacuum up and down stairs, be sure that it won’t be too heavy or cumbersome for you.
Height: some commercial models are kind of fat on the front. This prevents you from getting underneath furniture or into tight corners.
Pros and Cons of Commercial Vacuums
If you’re thinking of upgrading to a professional-grade vacuum cleaner for your home, then it’s critical that you understand as much as possible beforehand. This will enable you to make the right choice for your situation, and it will prevent you from regretting your decision after the fact.
So, with that in mind, here are some reasons for and against commercial upright vacuum cleaners.
- More power
- Less maintenance required
- More suction
- Better results overall
- Longer lasting
- Better filtration system (usually)
- Louder than most consumer models
- Limited number of attachments (if any)
- Most require bags
- Only designed for floors, not other surfaces
After looking through each of these commercial upright vacuums, we have to say that the Hoover WindTunnel model stands out above the rest. Although we like both Oreck vacuums, we think that the Hoover has more power and versatility than anything we’ve seen. With a super robust motor and five different cleaning positions, you can do a lot more with the WindTunnel than with anything else.